Friday, August 26, 2011

The More Important Reason


Yesterday I mentioned that I'd discovered/been reminded of 2 things that are great about homeschooling, with our own schedule being one.  But, the more important reason, and the one that does truly carry weight in our decision, is that I have the opportunity to engage in meaningful discussions with our children as they are learning new things.

We have been doing a study of world geography and cultures from the Confessions of a Homeschooler blog called Expedition Earth.  We've been studying China.  It's a wonderful study and it includes a book about the prayer needs of each country, so my children are becoming sensitive to their needs and the differences in our beliefs and the beliefs of others.

Yesterday, I added on watching Everest on Netflix since we had read about Mt. Everest in our information on China.  As part of the movie, the spiritual beliefs of one of the men climbing Everest was discussed and my daughter had several questions.  In addition, during the course of the climb, there was a terrible storm and several people lost their lives.  My daughter wanted to talk about how she hoped the men who had died knew Jesus before they died.

These are the moments I would miss if they were not at home learning at my side.

Lord, help me remember that the next time I sit here wishing that lovely, yellow bus would stop instead of driving past each morning.

1 comment:

  1. that's a big part of the reasons why we homeschooled too - opportunities like that make it sooo worth it :)

    ReplyDelete