Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Lovely Thing

There are lots of reasons we have chosen to homeschool, and some days I need reminders of those initial reasons and reasons we've found along the way.  Today I stumbled upon 2 reasons that make homeschooling wonderful (although only one of them would really sway my decision if I were making it over again).

Last night as I went to bed, I saw we were under a "Severe Thunderstorm Watch" until 5AM...well, this storm did not disappoint.  I'm sure I was aware of it before there was a light tapping on my ankle that came from our oldest who was timidly seeking permission to climb into our bed.  Sometimes I forget he fears thunderstorms - mostly because he also hates to leave his room at night to seek comfort.  I don't know if this is just his personality or his being on the autism spectrum, but whatever the reason he often just suffers in silence during a storm...so yes, this one was a doozy.

Next to appear was our daughter...with her cat trailing her.  Wherever she goes, he goes.  I told her to go to her father's side of the bed as mine was already occupied by her older brother and the cat who never leaves my side at night...so that brings us to 4 people and 2 cats in our bed.  Somehow, our youngest never really gets bothered by thunderstorms, so he rode it out in his room.  However, the dog who barks at everything but fears his own shadow was quaking at my side of the bed, causing it to shake ever so slightly.

Needless to say, not a lot of sleeping occurred in our house last night.  So, I was ever so pleased that the kids and I did not need to get up for a bus or for anyone else's schedule.  All 4 of us slept past the time that the elementary bus roared down our street.  All 4 of us slept past the time that the elementary school began their school for the day.  And one of the kids almost made it to lunch time.  But we weren't cranky with each other and learning happened once we were better rested (although I did still sneak in a brief nap after all the learning was done).  That is a lovely thing!!

I think I'll save my 2nd discovery for tomorrow's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment